Wednesday, May 19, 2010

J W (John) Smith

The first custom knife I ever commissioned/ordered was from John Smith.  I saw a picture of one of his knives on the cover of the old NKCA (National Knife Collectors Association) magazine back when it was printed in color on high quality paper.  I was mesmerized. Well, John made me a knife like that one, it was wonderful, a little gentleman's pocket knife with fluted Mother-of-Pearl handles and gold pins.  This was 20 or so years ago.  I was living in Atlanta at the time and John was in northern Kentucky.  That year, when the family went to Cincinnati for the holiday's to visit with my wife's family, John and I met at a bar across the Ohio river in Covington KY.  He delivered the knife and I paid him, we then shared a few beers and thus began a long friendship.  John and I have shared many beers since then.  This is but one example of why I enjoy this hobby, knife people and the custom knife community have brought me many treasured friendships.

Anyway, back to knives.  I believe John is one of the most skilled makers on the custom knife scene today.  His fit and finish is second to none.  John makes his own Damascus and does his own engraving.  John produces Art Knives as well as Tactical Knives.  He is a member of the prestigious AKI (Art Knife Invitational) group of makers. Here are some examples of John's work;

Near or at the top end of the models John makes, I would say his signature piece, are his Sunburst mosaic pearl daggers.

This was the first of this model that I acquired and probably still my favorite.

Check out the details.


Here is a more simple (relatively) high end piece

John's tactical pieces are made with the same fit and finish as his Art pieces.  These next few are made with a 50+ year old Micarta of which there is little left.  The first is his F5 Flipper.

Utility Daggers, large & small

RG1 folder

John is a top notch maker and I highly recommend you check out his work if you are not already familiar with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment