Thursday, May 27, 2010

A knife project comes together.


I enjoy working with various custom knife makers and engravers on projects, it is in fact one of my greatest enjoyments within the hobby of knife collecting.   The fruits of a recent labor have now all come together in a project I present for your enjoyment.  But first some background.

John Young is a very talented, in demand, knifemaker. John's wait list on orders is around five years and at shows a drawing is held for the privilege of buying one of his knives.  Over the years John and I have spent much time talking knives and as a result of many conversations we decided to do a project together.  John and I agreed that one of his knife models, in particular, was a prime candidate for engraving, his push dagger.  Together we discussed handle materials and engraving themes and engravers.  The result of our first project together was this beautiful push dagger engraved by Lee Griffiths.
After completion this piece was presented by John at the 2009 Blade Show in Atlanta.  John and I decided we enjoyed working together on the project and wanted to do more.

For our new project I came up with a theme; game animals with horns that are used for handle material.  Use the horn for the handles and have the animals engraved on the bolsters.  Next John and I came up with a knife design, a new  model, a Modified Chute.  Ray Cover Jr. was brought into the project before the knives were designed for his input on space requirements for engraving.  I also had a custom case made by Huey Gun Cases known for their work building custom cases for high end guns.  I am very excited about this project, three knives with handle materials made from the horns of animals depicted in the engraving.  The set will be on display for the first time at the 2010 Blade Show.

Here is the set in the custom Huey Case;

Close ups of the engraving;













Hope you have enjoyed this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment