Saturday, April 30, 2016

Moroccan Koummya

Here is a beautiful ornamental piece I picked up from a collector some years ago, it is a Koummya. Researching this piece I have found the following information; The koummya is the characteristic traditional dagger of the Berber and Arabic peoples of Morocco, it is  variant of the Arabic jambiya.  Distinguishing features are the contoured handles, curved double-edged blade and exaggeratedly upturned scabbard tip. In the context of the traditional regional manner of dress, the koummya is worn visibly at the left side, generally about at the level of the waist and is suspended vertically, with the scabbard tip forward, by a long woolen baldric, attached at either end to one of the two scabbard rings.  I have had it on display in my study.  I was told it was authentic and that the gold fittings have been tested and are indeed real gold.  I am no expert on this type of knife, however, I like the looks of it and it is a great item for display. Enjoy.











No comments:

Post a Comment